The post holder will practice autonomously and be responsible and accountable for safe, compassionate person centred evidence based nursing that respects and maintains dignity and human rights. They will be responsible for assessment of care needs of patients and planning programmes of care, implementation and the evaluation of these programmes without direct supervision. At times they will have management responsibility for being in charge of the ward/department and supervising junior members of staff.
The post holder will practice in a holistic, non-judgmental, caring and compassionate manner that avoids assumptions, supports social inclusion and recognises and respects individual choice and acknowledges diversity. They will work in partnership with other health and social care professionals, students and trainees and agencies, service users, their carers and families. The post holder will contribute to the practice development within their clinical care setting and work in accordance with Trust Policies, Procedures and Guidelines and will be responsible for completing any work based training associated with the role.Main duties of the job
*The post holder will work according to the NMC Code of Professional Standards of Practice and Behaviour and relevant professional guidelines and be accountable for their own professional actions
*The post holder must use up to date knowledge and evidence to assess, plan, deliver and evaluate care, communicate findings, influence changes and promote health and best practice
*The post holder must achieve and maintain competence in identified mandatory and statutory training, develop and maintain clinical competencies, skills and knowledge which relate to the area of clinical practice
*The post holder must respond to patients, relative and carers concerns as they arise and take remedial action as required
*The post holder will take charge of the practice setting as required/ or a defined area of the practice setting
*The post holder will assume responsibility for undertaking tasks delegated by the nominated line/shift manager. This may include representing the practice setting at meetings, link nurse responsibilities, audit, governance initiatives and supervision and role competence assessments for unregistered nurses and students/ trainees
*The post holder will contribute to the development of service and quality improvement initiatives within a collaborative framework to enhance patient experience and outcome and ensure standards of care are monitored and maintained at the highest levelAbout us
We are recognised as one of the leading NHS Foundation Trusts in the UK. Our vision is to Build Healthier Lives, and we recognise that we need incredible staff to do this.
Our commitment to our staff is to create the best place for them to work, and we are dedicated to:
Investing in the health and wellbeing of our staff, including a commitment of offering flexible working where we can Offer our staff a wide variety of training and development opportunities, to support their personal and career development objectives.
UHB is committed to ensuring that our staff are treated fairly and feel that they belong, by creating a kind and inclusive environment. This is about equity of opportunity removing all barriers, including discrimination and ensuring each individual member of staff reach their true potential, achieve their ambitions and thrive in their work. This is more than words. We are taking action. Our commitment to an inclusive culture is embedded at all levels of the organisation where every voice is heard, driven by our diverse and active staff networks, and at Board level by the Fairness Taskforce led by our CEO. We nurture a culture which empowers staff to challenge discriminatory behaviours and to enable people to bring their 'whole self' to a kinder, more connected and bold place to work.
University Hospitals Birmingham is a Smoke-Free premises hospital.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
*Please Note : For a detailed job description for this vacancy, please see attached Job Description*Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- *Registered Adult Nurse on the NMC Register
- *Evidence and ability to revalidate as required by the NMC
- *Previous / recent experience or working in an acute secondary NHS care setting (can include student placements within the last 12 months )
- *Evidence of achievements and career development in current post and of on-going professional development/ competence
- *Experience of working on own and in a team in a health care environment delegating to others within a team / providing supervision to others
- *Willingness to become a practice supervisor / assessor to or meets Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) standards for student supervision and assessment
- *Understanding and knowledge of the NMC code of conduct
- *Understanding of preceptorship and work based learning and assimilation of skills and knowledge
- *Awareness of current relevant NHS policy context
- *Understanding / experience of the principles of safeguarding and Mental Capacity
- *Awareness of health and safety issues
Employer detailsEmployer name
- *Demonstrate achievement of numeracy (including drug administration calculations) and literacy skills. Ability to read / write and speak , receive and understand instructions in English
- *Good IT skills ability to record information electronically
- *Competent in a range of clinical skills willingness to undertake expanded practices relevant to the scope of practice required
- *Competent in managing the care of a group of patients / shift management and clinical leadership relevant to the practise setting
- *Professional appearance
- *Displays genuine interest in the post applied for and can articulate this when questioned
- *Positive and enthusiastic attitude
- *Ability to communicate articulately others
- *Caring and approachable
- *Ability to work a varied shift pattern including nights / weekends unsocial hours where required
- *The applicant can describe why the Trust may deploy him /her to a different practice setting for a span of duty
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.