An exciting opportunity has arisen at Somerset NHS Foundation Trust
for motivated therapy radiographers or new graduates who are looking to develop his/her career as a Therapy Radiographer
at the award winning and innovative Beacon Radiotherapy Centre
The Beacon Centre at Musgrove Park Hospital opened in May 2009 bringing radiotherapy facilities to the population of Somerset. The service is equipped with a Toshiba Aquilion wide-bore CT simulator, Elekta Versa HD linear accelerators, XStrahl superficial x-ray unit, mould room and workshop, Elekta Mosaiq Oncology Management System, AcQSim Virtual Simulation and Pinnacle Treatment Planning System and SGRT.
With a passion for team development, the service has fostered pathways for career progression including a range of Advanced, Consultant and leadership roles. Beyond this, the team boasts a culture which is committed to innovative, high-quality care.Main duties of the job
The postholder will be a key member of the radiotherapy team, rotating through department, working flexibly and engaging in service development.
- Responsible for the efficient and smooth running of treatment units to which the radiographer is assigned to ensure and maintain standards in the treatment of patients with a cancer diagnosis
- To act as part of a team in the treatment process ensuring the highest professional and technical standards are set and maintained .
- To provide a patient focused service working across professional boundaries
- To undertake radiotherapeutic procedures efficiently and to treat patients with ionising radiation in accordance with prescribed protocols, radiation control measures and medico-legal requirements
- To be involved in the continuous development of Radiotherapy Services
- This is a rotational post and will also involve working in pre-treatment, superficial X-ray and the radiotherapy review service.
The Beacon Centre Radiotherapy Department provides Radiotherapy services and consultations to patients from Somerset.
At our Trust we value kindness, respect and teamwork and always endeavour to put these at the heart of our service.
Our ethos is to support the development and advance our radiographers with competency based workbooks to enhance their skills and experience.
If you chose to work with us, you will be part of a dedicated team, intent on delivering the best possible care for each patient and to support one another's wellbeing at the same time.
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone's throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
Please refer to the job description for full details on the role, we welcome informal discussions prior to applying, so please get in touch!Person SpecificationQualificationEssential
- To provide, receive and use sensitive information maintaining patient confidentiality at all times, ensuring that accurate treatment records are kept at all times
- Apply safe and effective moving and handling skills in order to protect all individuals
- Practice within the framework set out by the Society of Radiographers Statements of professional conduct (2002) and the health professions Council Standards of Conduct, performance and Ethics (2003) To maintain the professional standards of self
- To ensure that the treatment equipment is safe and accurate to operate, both for patient and staff, undertaking the appropriate machine checks and reporting any variances promptly
- Verify the accuracy of treatment plans prior to commencement of a course of radiotherapy
- Undertake and evaluate radiation dose delivery calculations involving a range of radiation types and energies
- Interpret, monitor and evaluate the treatment prescription to ensure that radiotherapy is delivered accurately and reproducibly
- Evaluate delivery of radiotherapy treatment through application and interpretation of treatment verification procedures
- Be able to accurately set-up patients on a linear accelerator for radiotherapy treatment, using a CT in pre treatment and the SXR unit
- Use the currently available information technology based systems employed in the radiotherapy process effectively
- Responsible for ensuring that department-based equipment is maintained and regularly quality assured
- Responsible for ensuring the environment is treated with respect by self and others, and maintain a culture of environmental care consistent with working in a PFI building
- Participate as required in the monitoring and ordering of appropriate stock levels
Knowlege and ExperienceEssential
- BSc (Hons) degree in Radiotherapy or Diploma of College of Radiographers DCR[T]
- HCPC Registered Therapy Radiographer (or newly qualified, applying for posts)
- A thorough and detailed knowledge of principles and concepts underpinning the broad range of applications and techniques used in radiotherapy
- Experience of working with whole range of radiotherapy equipment including treatment planning systems, record and verify systems, CT simulators linear accelerators and superficial xray units
- Excellent communication skills with patients, carers and staff
- Evidence of training in communication skills / advanced communication
- Willingness to respond to changing demands and requirements to meet service needs i.e. shift changes
- Willingness to undertake further training and to participate in developing new working practices to meet the changing needs of the service
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Mentoring skills
- Research / investigation skills
Somerset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Beacon Centre, Musgrove Park Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.