Are you an experienced finance lead looking for a new challenge? Would you like to lead the Financial Services team within a busy Acute NHS Trust? If so, then we want to hear from you.
In return for flexible working opportunities, a comprehensive annual leave, benefits and pension package, a professional training and development plan, and a place in our senior finance team leading our department on a journey from good to great, we expect you to be a positive and enthusiastic self-starter, able to manage a team in all aspects of financial services relating to the Trust. You will play a particularly important role in leading change, both within the finance department and the wider Trust, acting as a financial expert to assist with all aspects of financial governance and reporting. For more info, please get in contact for an informal conversation with email@example.com, Deputy Chief Financial OfficerMain duties of the job
This is a high profile post integral to the success of the organisation. The post holder is expected to work at a high level in the organisation demonstrating credibility with the Trust Directors, Senior Management Team and Clinicians, and at a senior level with external bodies e.g. System partners and Regulators.
Reporting to the Deputy Chief Financial Officer, the post holder has the following key areas of responsibility:
- To operationally manage the Financial Services team, as well as contractual management of the outsourced procurement and payroll functions and relationship management of NHS Shared Business Services.
- To provide high-level support and advice on all financial accounting matters. This includes leading on the production of the annual accounts and external financial reporting, treasury management, strategic financial planning and capital planning, including all aspects of our PFI.
- To deliver all financial accounting requirements in a professional and efficient manner, to high standards and in accordance with Statutory Standards and Trust policies and procedures.
- To lead on financial governance, audit and counter fraud issues including the maintenance and monitoring of Standing Financial Instructions
- To lead the financial element of the Trust Capital Programme ensuring effective prioritisation, monitoring and escalation systems are in place to address the needs of the organisation.
In the finance department we are firmly on track to meet the One NHS Finance Level 1 Accreditation for Excellence this Summer. You will be offered a tailored Personal Development Plan to meet your needs and achieve your ambitions within NHS Finance. We run internal management courses and are aligned to the Financial Staff Development Network, the Healthcare Financial Management Association and the South West Finance Academy, meaning that we are able to access multiple courses and resources to assist you in being able to excel in your new role.
Our STAR values are at the heart of everything we do. You can expect to see them in the way we act and the way we treat each other. Our values make us who we are. We will expect your values and behaviours to reflect the STAR Values of the organisation:
Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- Service - We will put our patients first
- Teamwork - We will work together
- Ambition - We will aspire to provide the best service
- Respect - We will act with integrity
This is a high profile post integral to the success of the organisation. The post holder is expected to work at a high level in the organisation demonstrating credibility with the Trust Directors, Senior Management Team and Clinicians, and at a senior level with external bodies e.g. System partners and Regulators. Please see the full job description for further details Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Masters or equivalent qualification
- Holder of a recognised CCAB accountancy qualification- Qualified Accountant
- Regular Continued Professional Development
- Formal management qualification or equivalent experience
- In depth knowledge of the current NHS agenda and challenges.
- Drafting and presenting reports to non-financial managers in a variety of formats (presentation, written, oral)
- Experience of strategic service planning and redesign.
- Experience of staff management and development.
- Expert knowledge of financial and accounting procedures and legislation
- Experience in developing complex financial models from scratch, using Excel or equivalent
- Confident and thorough understanding of NHS Planning and Reporting templates, including annual accounts
- Working Experience and knowledge of PFI contracts/service provision
- Experience of working on complex projects as part of a project team
- Must be able to discuss technical matters with specialist and non-specialist internal and external organisations
- Working as the senior finance adviser to a team of non-finance managers
- Working under pressure and to tight deadlines and manage competing demands
- Recognised experience with facilities management, legal, financial and contracting knowledge
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Working in an NHS Acute Trust
- Demonstrable knowledge of working in a large PFI contract
Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Great Western Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.