Would you like to join an energetic and supportive team?
We are re-structuring our service and an exciting opportunity has arisen for a Band 7 Speech and Language Therapiston the stroke Unit at West Middlesex University Hospital. The candidate should be someone with highly specialist clinical knowledge and skills, who is enthusiastic about rehabilitation and service development.
The post is based on the acute stroke unit and provides excellent opportunities for on-going personal and professional development. The adult SLT service offers regular full department meetings, team CPD, consistent access to formal and informal supervision and regular peer support.
We are looking for someone who has experience with Videofluoroscopy and tracheostomy, but competencies and training will be provided where needed.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch, should you wish to hear more about the role.
We look forward to receiving your application.Main duties of the job
This is a full-time post within the adult Speech & Language Therapy Team, providing a service to inpatients on the stroke unit at West Middlesex University Hospital.
The post holder will be an autonomous practitioner, providing highly specialist Speech and Language Therapy services to the stroke unit.
The post holder will be expected to manage a complex caseload independently, providing second opinions, supervision and support for junior staff. They will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and will be expected to contribute to collaborative working with patients, carers, and colleagues, the voluntary sector and Social Services in regards to the planning and delivery of care.
The post holder will participate in team meetings, working parties and contribute to departmental / team audits. They will be required to deliver training within the hospital setting to other professionals, patients and carers. They will contribute to training and support of junior staff members and therapy assistants.About us
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust provide services from two main hospitals, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and West Middlesex University Hospital, and a number of clinics across London and the South-East.
We have nearly 7,000 members of staff that are PROUD to Care
for nearly one million people.
Both hospitals provide full clinical services, including full maternity, emergency and children's, in addition to a range of community-based services across London, such as award-winning sexual health and HIV clinics.
We're one of the best performing Trusts in the country. We're also one of the top trusts to work for - our staff says they're engaged, motivated, and would recommend us as a place to work and receive treatment.
Our Trust has been rated by the Care Quality Commission as 'Good' in all five of the main domains of safe, effective, caring, responsive and well-led, giving an us overall rating of 'Good'. We've also been awarded an
'Outstanding' rating for 'use of resources' by an NHS Improvement inspection.
Our facilities are some of the best in the country. We have been investing significant Capital year on year in our estate.
We have recently completed a �30m expansion of our adult and neonatal critical care facilities at Chelsea and Westminster and are planning an ambitious �60m development of an Ambulatory Diagnostics Centre at West Middlesex.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
To provide highly specialist speech and language therapy input consisting of assessment, diagnosis and treatment of adult patients referred to inpatient Speech and Language Therapy. Using evidence based practice and outcome measurement to provide the most effective treatment for patients. Ensuring patients are involved in the planning and prioritisation of their care wherever possible.
Please review the job description for the full list of roles and responsibilities.Person SpecificationTrust ValuesEssential
Education and QualificationsEssential
- Putting patients first
- Responsive to, and supportive of, patients and staff
- Open, welcoming and honest
- Unfailingly kind, treating everyone with respect, compassion and dignity
- Determined to develop our skills and continuously improve the quality of care
- Qualified Speech and Language Therapist
- Current HCPC registration
- Current RCSLT registration
- Membership of Clinical Interest Group relevant to the post
- Post graduate experience and professional development relevant to the post
- Experience working within a Multidisciplinary Team
- Experience with service development and service evaluation
- Experience providing teaching and training for members of the MDT, clients, families etc.
- Experience using evidence based practice and outcome measures
- Experience providing complex dysphagia assessment and management
- Experience providing complex communication assessment and management
- Level 3 Videofluoroscopy competencies / relevant overseas training or framework
Skills and knowledgeEssential
- Experience providing assessment and management for patients with voice disorders
- Evidence of the relevant tracheostomy competencies / overseas training or framework
- Understanding of relevant NHS policies and the value of clinical governance
- Ability to take responsibility for own clinical work from referral through to discharge
- Ability to work on autonomously and as part of a team
- Highly specialist knowledge of speech and language therapy assessment, formulation and treatment input for adults with a range of communication and swallowing disorders
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients / families in a highly emotive setting
- Ability to demonstrate an evidence based approach to clinical practice
- Ability to communicate effectively with other health professionals
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent verbal and written presentation skills
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Awareness of professional and personal boundaries
- Able to maintain prolonged concentration in order to complete assessment, diagnosis and provision of the appropriate therapy and / or management plan
- Ability to cope with stressful working situations including emotional or aggressive patients/ carers/ relatives
Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation TrustAddress
West Middlesex University Hospital
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.