Clinical Educator Fellow

Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
£51,017 to £58,398 a year per annum
Closing date
4 Jun 2023

View more

Job summary

We have the opportunity to offer 5 Clinical Teaching Fellow posts in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Urology, Emergency Medicine and ICU. These posts are a fantastic opportunity for candidates to work as clinical teaching fellows (40%) while gaining clinical experience (60%).

The teaching posts include a fully funded place on the Postgraduate Certificate in Health Education at University of Reading.

Main duties of the job

The successful applicant must have a license to practice from the GMC, and ideally completed core training and hold MRCP/ MRCOG/ MRCS. Applicants with at least 2 years NHS post-graduate experience and a strong interest in medical education will be considered

40% of the post holder's time will be spent on teaching activities with the remaining 60% of time spent doing clinical work, including relevant on call rota.

All teaching fellows will have access to a tutor who will provide mentorship with educational projects as well as an educational supervisor.

The post will be tailored to the successful applicant and their specific interests

We encourage development of teaching skills and also publication of work and projects. Previous teaching fellows have successfully presented work at national and international meetings

Collaboration and shared teaching opportunities for different groups of students is encouraged and organising postgraduate sessions will also be welcomed by the department.

About us

The Royal Berkshire Hospital hosts students from both the University of Oxford and the University of Southampton, in addition to Physician Associate students from the University of Reading. From September 2024, the Trust will also welcome its first cohort of students from Brunel Medical School. These posts have been established to enhance the teaching of students and maintain the Royal Berkshire Hospital's reputation as a centre of excellence for medical education.

The PG Cert course at UOR is aimed at staff from across the Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Integrated Care Service and includes doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals allied to medicine who have a teaching role and/or responsibility for the training, development and/or appraisal of other healthcare professionals.

There are three modules over the course of the year;
  • The self and healthcare education
  • Teaching and learning in healthcare education
  • Working with others in healthcare education

Each module is comprised of both independent learning and taught content with three taught days per module. A total of nine taught days are provided across the year.

Job description

Job responsibilities

Please see the attached job description for this post for a detailed description of the main responsibilities of the post.

Person Specification



  • MB ChB, MBBS or equivalent
  • Full GMC Registration


  • MCEM / MRCP / MRCS or equivalent



  • Broad Medical Experience
  • Previous experience of working within the NHS (2 years)


  • Minimum of four months experience in Emergency Medicine or Acute Medicine
  • Post registration experience of working in other specialties relevant to emergency medicine, intensive care medicine and anaesthesia

Ability & Knowledge


  • Good basic and wide-ranging knowledge of clinical medicine
  • Good communication skills


  • Ability to teach and enthuse other medical staff



  • Strong desire to offer quality care to individual patients
  • Strong interest in delivering high quality medical education
  • Punctuality with good time management


  • Experience of delivering medical education including experience of developing teaching programme.

Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.


Get job alerts

Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.

Create alert