We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist with an interest in Operational Research to join our Data Science team.
The position sits within the Somerset Integrated Care System collaboration hub, meaning a unique opportunity to explore a wide range of healthcare data subject areas such as Acute Care, Mental Health, Primary Care, Population Health, and Community Care. The team is a member of or provides support to a wide range of services including:
Main duties of the job
- South West Analysts & Infrastructure for Healthcare (SWAIH),
- The Health Service Modelling Associates (HSMA),
- Peninsula Collaboration for Health Operational Research and Data Science (PenCHORD)
- Great Western Secure Data Environment (GWSDE).
- Association of Professional Healthcare Analysts (AphA)
You'll play a lead role in providing Data Science services contributing and leading on research through our academic partnerships and directly to initiatives that improve patient outcomes, operational efficiency and the quality of services delivered for the population of Somerset.
The Trust has invested in providing the right tools to enable you to reach your potential including a dedicated collaborative Data Science IDE environment (DataLore) which supports Jupyter notebooks, a local instance (DataSpell) supporting SQL, R, Python and Julia, Plotly Dash Enterprise to create dedicated Data Science applications for your work, GitHub for source control and open-source applications such as PostgreSQL, Apache, DrawIO and Anaconda.About us
As an organisation, the NHS offers a wide range of benefits including flexible working, pension contributions, market leading annual leave allowance, career progression and regular conversations, not to mention our Blue Light Card and NHS exclusive discounts.
The benefits of working in Somerset include the idyllic countryside, with our areas of outstanding beauty and stunning coastlines. You will get to enjoy these perks whilst still only being a stone's throw away from bustling city centres like Bristol, Bath and Exeter and only two hours away from London.
There are excellent educational facilities in the area and, when compared to other regions, house prices are reasonable. You will experience the best of both in Somerset, the countryside and the cosmopolitan - there is truly something for everyone!Job descriptionJob responsibilities
- To communicate findings to all levels of management and respond tactfully to challenge of assumptions and results.
- To support team projects and take accountability for the technical content and output.
- To critically review work and analytical findings produced by the team and colleagues.
Please refer to the job description attached. Person SpecificationQualificationsEssential
- Educated to master's level in a relevant subject or equivalent level of experience of working at a senior level in specialist analytical area.
- Have specialist thorough knowledge of the principles of mathematics and statistics.
- Must understand the background to and aims of current healthcare policy and appreciate the implications of this on engagement.
- Extensive knowledge of specialist areas, acquired through post graduate diploma or equivalent experience or training plus further specialist knowledge or experience to master's level equivalent.
- Evidence of post qualifying and continuing professional development
- Practical advanced experience or training in SQL
- Practical advanced experience or training in Python or R
- Ability to identify risks, anticipate issues and create solutions and to resolve problems in relation to project or service delivery.
- Ability to understand a broad range of complex information quickly and making decisions where opinions differ/no obvious solution
- Takes decisions on difficult and contentious issues where there may be several courses of action.
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- Must be able to provide and receive highly complex, sensitive or contentious information, negotiate with senior stakeholders on difficult and controversial issues, and present complex and sensitive information to large and influential groups
- Excellent presentational skills for conveying complex concepts. Ability to use informed persuasion to influence others.
- Persuade board and senior managers of the respective merits of different options, innovation and new market opportunities.
- Be able to effectively lead training and development programmes for internal and external persons.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .Employer detailsEmployer name
Somerset NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.