The Critical Care department at GSTT has an international reputation for clinical excellence and a prominent research profile. As well as serving the local population we provide tertiary critical care to the region.
The critical care directorate comprises six clinical areas and totals 75 beds at the St Thomas' site. There are 39 level 3 beds in the East Wing of the hospital (15 on EW1 ICU, 13 on EW2 ICU and 11 on EW6 ICU), an overnight intensive recovery unit (11 level 3 beds staffed by anaesthetists), a medical/surgical HDU on East Wing level 10 (15 level 2 beds) and cardiovascular surgical HDU (10 level 2 beds) on East Wing level 8. At the Guy's site, there are 13 level 2/3 beds on the Guys Critical Care Unit (GCCU).
Our case mix is challenging with a large proportion of complex medical and cardiothoracic patients. We manage a wide spectrum of medical and surgical emergencies.
We are one of the largest severe respiratory failure centres in Europe by case load. The service was commissioned in 2012. This includes a 24/7 consultant-led ECMO/severe respiratory failure retrieval service. We conduct around 100 ECMO retrievals annually. There is also exposure to extra-corporeal CO2 removal. There is ongoing going development of a VA programme for the management of reversible cardiogenic shock and eCPR. The post holder will also have significant exposure to general ITU patients and complex vascular, general surgery and cardiac surgery patientsMain duties of the jobPART A: Teaching and education
PART B: Clinical duties
- To work alongside the Educational Leads and College Tutors in the development and provision of training for our clinical staff, with a focus on medical postgraduate education to doctors in training.
- To assist the development and delivery of undergraduate teaching within the department.
- To support and develop the Critical Care simulation programme for the multidisciplinary team. GSTT has significant simulation expertise within the SAIL centre which can offer training and development in simulation design and delivery.
- To help ensure that the department meets the GMC standards in education.
- We expect our fellows to develop their individual medical education interest and projects and we will support you in presenting these at educational conferences nationally and/or internationally.
This post is open to registrar grade (Senior Clinical Fellow) doctor applicants with airway skills (minimum 12 months substantive anaesthesia required).
More information can be found on the attachments.About us
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust comprises five of the UK's best known hospitals - Guy's, St Thomas', Evelina London Children's Hospital, Royal Brompton and Harefield - as well as community services in Lambeth and Southwark, all with a long history of high quality care, clinical excellence, research and innovation.
We are among the UK's busiest, most successful Foundation Trusts. We provide specialist care for patients including heart and lung, cancer and renal services as well as a full range of local hospital and community services for people in Lambeth and Southwark.
We have a long tradition of clinical and scientific achievement and - as part of King's Health Partners - we are one of England's eight academic health sciences centres, bringing together world-class clinical services, teaching and research. We have one of the National Institute for Health Research's biomedical research centres, established with King's College London in 2007, as well as dedicated clinical research facilities.
We have around 22,700 staff, making us one of the largest NHS Trusts in the country and one of the biggest employers locally. We aim to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve and continue to develop new and existing partnerships with local people, patients, neighbouring NHS organisations, local authorities and charitable bodies and GPs.Job descriptionJob responsibilities
The post holders will, together with colleagues, be responsible for the provision of services to Guys & St Thomas NHS Foundation Trust to include:
(a) Diagnosis and treatment of patients of the trust in such hospitals, health centres or clinics or other premises as required.
(b) Continuing clinical responsibility for the patients in your charge, allowing for all proper delegation to, and training of, your staff.
Training of junior staff:
The post holders will take responsibility for the training and direction of the multi-disciplinary staff allocated to him/her under the aegis of the training plan that that post holder has agreed with their supervising consultant.
All medical and dental staff are expected to take part in clinical governance activity, including clinical audit, clinical guideline and protocol development and clinical risk management. They will be expected to produce evidence of their contribution in these areas and their audit of their own clinical work as part of their appraisal.
This post is not accredited for postgraduate training. However the post holders will be expected to attend and contribute to educational activities e.g. departmental meetings, multidisciplinary meetings, journal clubs etc.
More information can be found on the attachmentsPerson SpecificationQualifications / EducationEssential
- MBBS or equivalent medical qualification
- FRCA(Primary)/MRCP/MRCS or equivalent qualification
Professional / Statutory RegistrationEssential
- FICM/EDIC or equivalent qualification in intensive care medicine
- Eligible for full registration with licence to practice with the GMC at time of appointment
- Eligible to work in the UK
- Informal teaching experience
- Ability to provide a complete employment history with no unexplained career gaps
- Evidence that career progression is consistent with personal circumstances
- Evidence that present achievement and performance is commensurate with totality of period of training
- Minimum 12 months substantive experience in intensive care medicine
Skills / Knowledge / AbilityEssential
- Experience of design and delivery of undergraduate or postgraduate teaching program
- Participation in delivery of multi-professional education
- Experience of delivering simulation education
- Knowledge of basic educational principles and their application within clinical settings
- Informal teaching experience
- Valid adult life support (ALS) certification
- Airway skills (minimum 12 months substantive anaesthesia)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of audiences
- Effective interpersonal skills, including confident and comfortable interaction with colleagues and students
- Effective organisational & time management skills
- Good understanding of current issues and challenges within intensive care and medical education
- Critical appraisal skills
- Experience of qualitative/quantitative evaluation of teaching
- Experience of presenting (poster/oral) at conferences or publications
- Proficient use of IT
- Completion of Train the Trainers or similar course
- Completion of simulation course
The successful candidate will demonstrateEssential
- Excellent networking abilities
Disclosure and Barring Service Check
- Enthusiasm for medical education and training
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as CRB) to check for any previous criminal convictions.Certificate of Sponsorship
Applications from job seekers who require current Skilled worker sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. For further information visit the UK Visas and Immigration website (Opens in a new tab) .
From 6 April 2017, skilled worker applicants, applying for entry clearance into the UK, have had to present a criminal record certificate from each country they have resided continuously or cumulatively for 12 months or more in the past 10 years. Adult dependants (over 18 years old) are also subject to this requirement. Guidance can be found here Criminal records checks for overseas applicants (Opens in a new tab) .UK Registration
Applicants must have current UK professional registration. For further information please see NHS Careers website (opens in a new window). Employer detailsEmployer name
Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation TrustAddress
St Thomas' Hospital
Westminster Bridge Road
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.
196 - MED4030