Medical Education Teaching Fellow - General Medicine

Hywel Dda University Health Board
Depending on experience £45,000 per annum.
Closing date
4 Jun 2023

View more

Job summary

An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Medical Education Teaching Fellow to work for 12 months based within the medical department of Withybush General Hospital. The post is suitable for someone who has completed F2 training and will be ideal for those who wish to pursue a clinical career but have a keen interest in Medical Education.

Please note: Starting salary �45,000 per annum. There is no salary scale associated with this role, it will not count towards incremental credit or pay progression.

Main duties of the job

The post has been established to work closely with the Medical Education leads and administrators to support the programme of Undergraduate and Postgraduate Medical Education in Withybush General Hospital.

The role will be 80% Medical Education focussed and the remaining 20% will be used for clinical work to which on-call commitments could be added.

The postholder will deliver ward and classroom based teaching for Medical and Physician Associates and support their learning needs, such as history examinations and case based discussions.

About us

Hywel Dda University Health Board is the planner and provider of NHS healthcare services for people in Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire and its bordering counties. Our 11,000 members of staff provide primary, community, in-hospital, mental health and learning disabilities services for around 384,000 people across a quarter of the landmass of Wales. We do this in partnership with our three local authorities and public, private and third sector colleagues, including our volunteers, through:

Four main hospitals: Bronglais General in Aberystwyth, Glangwili General in Carmarthen, Prince Philip in Llanelli and Withybush General in Haverfordwest;

Seven community hospitals: Amman Valley and Llandovery in Carmarthenshire; Tregaron, Aberaeron and Cardigan in Ceredigion; and Tenby and South Pembrokeshire Hospital Health and Social Care Resource Centre in Pembrokeshire;

48 general practices (five of which are managed practices), 47 dental practices (including three orthodontic), 99 community pharmacies, 44 general ophthalmic practices (43 providing Eye Health Examination Wales and 34 low vision services) and 17 domiciliary only providers and 11 health centres;

Numerous locations providing mental health and learning disabilities services;

Highly specialised and tertiary services commissioned by the Welsh Health Specialised Services Committee, a joint committee representing seven health boards across Wales.

Job description

Job responsibilities

You will be able to find a full job description and person specification attached within the supporting documents.

The Health Board is committed to supporting its staff to fully embrace the need for bilingualism thereby enhancing patient and service user experiences. In our commitment to increase the number of staff who are able to communicate in Welsh with patients and professionals, we welcome applications from Welsh speakers.

The ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable for this post. If you do not meet the Welsh Language requirements specified, the Health Board offers a variety of learning options and staff support to help you meet these minimal desirable requirements during the course of your employment with us.

Person Specification



  • GMC Registration
  • Medical Degree
  • 18 Months experience of working in the UK
  • Eligibility to work in the UK
  • Experience of working in Medical or Surgical specialties


  • Post Graduate college exams (eg MRCS or MRCP)
  • Experience of UK Medical school curricula and training

Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.


Get job alerts

Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.

Create alert