With a worldwide reputation, Newcastle Hospitals is an extremely research active organisation, delivering over 500 research studies a year to over 13000 research participants. We are looking for a caring, and forward thinking matron to join the Clinical Research Directorate senior management team to maintain our high standards and ensure that we continue to develop our services to shape and meet future research needs. This role is pivotal in ensuring that the Trust achieves its clinical research strategic goals
This is an ideal opportunity for either an experienced Matron or someone looking to progress into a Matron role. We are seeking someone with strong people management skills and ideally you would have significant experience in clinical research. You will need to have excellent communication skills as you will be required to work with across the organization and with partner organisations including: Newcastle University, NIHR, LCRN, Newcastle Health Innovation Partners (NHIP) and commercial sponsors.
Main duties of the job
- 27 June 2023
- 37 hours 30 minutes/week
- You will be redirected to Trac to apply for the vacancy. Please expand the job details section and read all of the information before applying for the vacancy.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Operations, you will be responsible, together with another matron, for all the NMAHP staff within the Directorate. Our staff are based across all Trust sites and therefore you will need to be flexible in your approach in order to maintain visibility, whilst supporting our workforce
Working closely with our business managers, partner organisations and R& D team, you will support the research delivery teams to deliver high quality clinical research, ensuring patient safety and good governance processes, ongoing review of patient experience, ongoing education and training, supporting the pipeline of research work and ensuring excellent links with all clinical services.
There will be numerous opportunities to develop your skills across a wide range of areas including involvement in funding bids and tenders, quality improvement and strategy development or other areas of interest.
Working in clinical research is such an exciting opportunity and we would be delighted to talk to you in more detail, so please do contact either of the Clinical Research Matrons, Aileen Burn or Fiona Yelnoorkar or Associate Director of Operations Jo Noble to find out more.About us
Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust is one of the busiest, largest and most successful teaching NHS foundation trusts in the country, with over 18,000 staff and an annual income of �1 billion.
Rated 'Outstanding' by theCQC for the second consecutive time in 2019, we have a long history of providing high quality care, clinical excellence, and innovation in medical research regionally, nationally and internationally.
We're also proud to be the second largest provider of specialised services in the country. This means we support people with a range of rare and complex medical, surgical and neurological conditions, cancers and genetic orders.
Our staff oversee around 1.84 million patients 'contacts' each year, delivering high standards of healthcare.
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and recognise the benefit in providing an inclusive environment. We value and respect the diversity of our employees and aim to recruit a workforce which reflects the communities we serve, and is equipped to deliver the best service to our patients. We welcome all applications irrespective of people's race, disability, gender, sexual orientation, religion or belief, age, gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity and in particular those from under- represented groupsJob descriptionJob responsibilities
The Clinical Research Directorate sits within the Clinical and Research Services Board and is currently undergoing some changes to align our services with the new Trust structure. The matron role will therefore be crucial in supporting our staff and services to transition to ensure that research is embedded across our clinical services.
You can find out more about our ground breaking research: https://www.newcastle-hospitals.nhs.uk/about/research/about/
- The Matron has 24 hour accountability for the wards and departments in their Directorate. They must ensure appropriate systems and processes are in place to ensure the continuity of safe and effective care at all times. Deputies for Associate Director of Operations as required / appropriate and is part of Directorate Management Team.
Please note it is a requirement of The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust that all successful candidates who require a DBS for the post they have been offered pay for their DBS certificate.The method of payment is a salary deduction from your first months pay.
As a flexible working friendly organisation, we want to be sure that you can work in a way that is best for us and for our patients, and for you. Speak to us about how we might be able to accommodate a flexible working arrangement. If it works for the service, we will do our best to make it work for you.Person SpecificationKNOWLEDGEEssential
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant NHS policy or project specific policy context
- Maintain and improve professional knowledge, skills and competence
- Good IT skills
- Report writing skills
- Effectively manage the directorate nursing resource
- Appropriate clinical skills
- Significant post registration experience, some of which must be at Band 7
- Significant experience at a senior level of managing nursing / clinical teams
- Audit / research experience
- Evidence of achievements in current post
- Evidence of proven leadership skills in relation to professional accountability
- Evidence of significant experience of safeguarding adults / children
- Registered Nurse (appropriate to branch)
- Current NMC registration
- Able to demonstrate academic achievement at post-graduate/masters level and willing to undertake full Master's Degree within an agreed timescale
- Meets Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) requirements for mentorship relevant to role
Employer detailsEmployer name
- Leadership / management qualification
The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation TrustAddress
Royal Victoria Infirmary
317 02 Royal Victoria Infirmary
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.