Band 6 Junior Sister/Charge Nurse Trauma & Orthopedics B WardFull time Permanent
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our 19 bed Trauma & Orthopedics B Ward at the Worcestershire Royal Hospital as a Band 6 Junior Sister/Charge Nurse. Ideal candidates will be developed to work expertly to optimise patient care and must also be a team player who can collaborate and work closely with the existing ward team to promote excellence in patient care.You should be able to prioritise your workload alongside managing a team and coordinating our bed availability and patient flow within T& O B.
We are committed to the development of our staffand are keen to offer thechance to build on your skills with the support of our well established team. You should be keen to continue your ongoing professional development with a commitment to the Trauma & Orthopaedic unit. A flexible nature is required and team management experience would also be desirable.
So, if you are a team player who is motivated, enthusiastic, hardworking and are looking for the opportunity to grow and work within a fast paced ward environment then we would like to hear from you. In return we can offer excellent opportunities for your personal and professional growth and can support your career ambitions and future development.
For more information or to arrange an informal visit, please contact Ward Manager, Megan Griffiths on
01905 763333 ext 39496Main duties of the jobMain Duties
Nurse in charge duties -including but not limited to coordination of beds, liaising with the wider MDT, participation in ward rounds, and leading safety huddles.
Prioritising patient flow and ensuring timely discharges.
Be aware and actively work towards quality improvement on the ward.
Take part in ward audits and identify areas for improvement, working alongside the ward manager to create action plans.
Staff management, including managing sickness absence, personal development reviews, and support with training requirements.
Assisting in the completion of governance investigations and producing of reports.
Supporting the Band 7 in the everyday management on the ward area.About us
Our purpose is simple - Putting Patients First. We are looking for exceptional colleagues who can help us achieve this.
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust is a large acute and specialised hospital trust that provides a range of local acute services to the residents of Worcestershire and more specialised services to a larger population in Herefordshire and beyond.
The Trust operates hospital-based services from three sites in Kidderminster, Redditch and Worcester
Our workforce is nearly 6,800 strong, and our caring staff are recognised as providing good and outstanding patient-centred care. You could be one of them.
We are committed to recruiting the best people to work with us to achieve our Vision - working in partnership to provide the best healthcare for our communities, leading and supporting our teams to move 4ward. Our 4ward behaviours, which we ask all staff to demonstrate, underpin our everyday work and remain firmly at the heart of all we do.
Our objectives are simple:
- Best services for local people
- Best experience of care and best outcomes for our patients
- Best use of resources
- Best people
Better never stops, and our Clinical Services Strategy provides a clear future vision for our Trust, our hospitals, our services and our role in the wider health and care system.We are proud to have achieved Timewise accreditation - this means we are committed to embedding flexible working within our organisation as a flex positive employer.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesJob Purpose: To work according to the NMC Code and relevant professional guidelines and frameworks including the 6 Cs as a named nurse / key worker for a defined group of patients and take responsibility for:
The assessment of care and health education needs.
The development, implementation and evaluation of programmes of care including discharge planning for each patient.
To demonstrate experience and skills in:
Facilitation and teaching
Management To ensure effective communication with patients, relatives, carers and the multidisciplinary team. To participate in preceptorship programmes as appropriate and act as a facilitator / mentor / preceptor / role model to less experienced staff To provide supervision, support and education to junior staff, unqualified staff and students. Develop, lead and manage a patient centred nursing service delivered by professional staff ensuring the highest possible standards of care To deputise for the Departmental Manager in her / his absence. To manage and develop new clinics and staff working within the area. Contribute significantly towards the strategic and operational development of the Unit Support the Departmental Manger in the recruitment and selection process of nursing staff Support the Departmental Manager in the monitoring of sickness absence Patient Care Responsibilities
Professional Development and Education Responsibilities
- Acting as a Named Nurse, to maintain accountability for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating programmes of care within the framework of team nursing.
- To promote a patient focused approach to care in collaboration with all relevant health professionals.
- To educate patients and their carers as required where a need has been identified.
- To provide information which enables patients to make choices about adopting a healthier lifestyle.
- To complete patient documentation correctly.
- To work with the Departmental Manager in establishing and monitoring protocols / care pathways.
- To participate in the promotion and maintenance of effective communication with patients, relatives and other staff.
- To support peoples equality, diversity and rights at all times.
- To safe guard vulnerable adults in accordance with agreed policies and procedures.
- To ensure that patient safety is maintained by the delegation of patient care to nurses with appropriate level of skill at all times and report any accidents / incidents to the Departmental Manager.
Professional and Clinical Leadership Responsibilities
- To develop own teaching skills and participate in staff / student education programmes.
- To help maintain a suitable learning environment for staff and act as a facilitator in the supervision and teaching of less experienced staff.
- To attend Trust / local orientation programmes and mandatory training sessions.
- To be responsible for developing and sustaining own knowledge, clinical skills and professional awareness in accordance with PREP requirements and to maintain a professional portfolio with evidence of reflective practice.
- To contribute to annual appraisal and be responsible for own Personal Development Programme, supporting the Departmental Manager in staff appraisals / PDR process..
- To support the Departmental Manager in the development and implementation of nursing practice guidelines, standards and policies.
- To provide training and development of the junior staff, student nurses and health care assistants to ensure a high level of nursing care is provided to patients.
- Maintains accurate records of training and development for all staff within the department,
- Organise and provide training programmes in accordance with the needs of the department developing training plans annually in conjunction with the Departmental Manager.
Research and Development Responsibilities
- Deputises for the Departmental Manager and liaises with members of the multi-disciplinary team both within the organisation and with external stakeholders, to ensure care is delivered to the patient both effectively and efficiently
- Is responsible for leading and co-ordinating the Department in the absence of the Departmental Manager
- Is actively involved in the dissemination of information to all staff e.g. Team Brief, Unit meetings
- Acts as an ambassador/role model for the organisation and the nursing profession
- Maintains their NMC registration, ensuring that own work and the work of other staff always adhere to the NMC code of conduct
- To promote and deliver Health Education within the clinical area and advise patients, relatives and others in Health Promotion issues where necessary
- Ensure that high standards of care are maintained within the department and where necessary address issues and instigate change in conjunction with the departmental Manager
- To prepare duty rota for the department, providing effective and well balanced staff cover to meet the requirements of the service and ensuring presence of a suitably qualified and experienced nurse at all times, taking onto account budgetary constraints.
- To monitor the safe and effective use of all equipment and the economic use of supplies.
- To manage the departmental allocated budget effectively to remain within financial constraints.
- To inform and discuss any nursing issues with Departmental Manager.
- To support Departmental Manager and Directorate management team in developing the Endoscopy Service and managing requests for scheduling changes within the service.
- To support the Departmental Manager in the day to day discipline within the department
- To participate in the workforce development, selection and interviewing of nursing staff within the Directorate.
- To devise an induction programme for new staff
- Maintains the custody, checking and administration of all drugs in accordance with the Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust policy.
- Facilitates staff meetings, team briefs
- Orientates staff to the department, developing an orientation plan giving exposure to all areas.
- Actively assists in the investigation of complaints and draft responses as required.
- Is responsible for ordering stock and non stock consumables.
- Attend meetings in the absence of the Departmental Manager
Audit, Quality and Risk Management Responsibilities
- To promote nursing practice in line with relevant research.
- To maintain an awareness of evidence-based practice.
- To contribute to research and development programmes within the ward / department.
- To contribute to the setting and monitoring of measurable standards of care and be accountable for maintaining standards.
- To maintain awareness of the national, professional and local quality issue relevant to the delivery of nursing services, e.g. Clinical Governance.
- To uphold quality initiatives that improve customer care and enhance the interface between staff, patients, and visitors.
- To participate in the audit process for monitoring and reviewing nursing quality.
- To be aware of personal responsibilities in relation to the maintenance of a safe environment and identification of potential risks for all personnel, patients and visitors, taking action as and when required.
- To be aware of the role of the nurse in handling complaints in accordance with WAHNT policy.
- To participate in maintaining a clean environment.
- To have a responsibility for the maintenance and provision of equipment for all lists, being mindful of infection control, COSHH and Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- The post holder will familiarise themselves with relevant Trust policies and procedures and comply with these at all times.
- To identify own training needs, to ensure individual competence in the use of all equipment provided for use.
Resource Management Responsibilities
- To maintain a safe environment and ensure all appropriate general risk assessments are carried out within 24 hours of admission document and plan care accordingly e.g. manual handling, pressure risks, slips trips and falls, nutrition, safeguarding.
Person SpecificationPersonal QualitiesEssential
- To develop and maintain an awareness of budgeting, exercising care and economy in the ordering and use of equipment.
- To assist in the assessment and monitoring of staffing requirements and report problems to the appropriate manager.
- In the absence of the Departmental Manager be able to undertake clinical / shift management within the department.
- Excellent communication skills
- High Professional standards
- Able to work in a team
- Able to work under own initiative and guide others
- Ability to think clearly under pressure
- Provides leadership and support to all members of the team
- Able to deal with the emotional aspects of the job
- Able to deal with exposure to bereavement and challenging behaviour
- Enthusiastic & assertive
- Demonstrates attention to detail
- Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.