The post holder is responsible for the delivery of care needs and maintenance of Clinical Standards on the ward, under the direction of the Ward Manager over the 24 hour period.
To assist in the leadership and development of an identified group of nurses within the ward
To ensure that patients and their relatives are updated regularly with accurate information, and ensure that this is presented in a way that they understand
In pursuing these duties the post holder will ensure compliance with the NHS Constitution and be familiar with the NHS England Guidance 'Understanding the new NHS'. Main duties of the job
Your role as a band 6 sister/charge nurse will include providing exceptional safe effective care to our patients, liaising with the multi-disciplinary team and working closely with the patient and their family to assist them in the safe delivery of optimum care needs and safe discharge process.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated, and creative individual who is a role model to junior staff and lives the Trust's right care values. We actively promote compassionate leadership within our nursing team. There is scope for a wide variety of work experience. Duties will include providing a high standard of care for our patients, coordinating shifts, whilst being an exemplary role model for junior staff and students.
The Junior Sister/Charge Nurse is someone whom is equally accountable for the day to day running of the ward and staff, acting as a positive role model at all times. We require a motivated individual with excellent communication skills to support the senior sister and other band 6 with the leadership and development of the ward and work effectively within a truly multi-disciplinary team.
The candidate should be able to demonstrate being a valued team worker with good communication skills, be conscientious, honest, caring and passionate about their nursing career.About us
We are always looking for enterprising and innovative approaches to the way we provide our services. We are a national centre for telemedicine and introduced telehealth to the UK offender healthcare sector and also provide the service to patients in their care homes. Community matters to us and we are supported by 400 dedicated volunteers and have strong links with Bradford University, Craven College and Leeds City College to ensure we inspire the workforce of the future.
We want to attract staff who embrace our Right Care behaviours of compassion, a commitment to quality of care and working together for patients we want to make these part of our DNA.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesMAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: PROFESSIONAL
- Facilitating the delivery of nursing care in accordance with standards, policies and procedures set.
- Ensure local policy and legislation is adhered to in relation to the custody and administration of drugs.
- Support the effective documentation of all nursing records, monitoring through audit that national and local standards are maintained on a daily basis
- Maintain effective communication channels throughout professional and support staff on the ward
- Provide professional advice and support to all members of the ward team, acting as a link to medical staff.
- Participate in ensuring an effective learning environment is established and maintained for all trainee staff on the ward.
- Practice Preceptorship and Clinical Supervision for junior staff in accordance with local policies.
- Monitor standards by participating in Audit of Clinical Standards and policies.
- Be aware of current developments and research in clinical practice and facilitate its introduction to the ward team.
- Liaise with Clinical Specialists and senior colleagues to develop practice in the ward environment and enhance the role of the untrained and qualified nurse.
- Develop local standards for care delivery.
- To demonstrate clinical expertise in the care of any patients receiving treatment on the ward.
- To provide specialist nursing advice and support to patients, their families and other healthcare professionals from the point of diagnosis and throughout treatment
- To support the Senior Sisters and Matrons in processes of continuous quality improvement, formally evaluating standards of care and assisting in the implementation of changes in the light of such findings.
- Support the Senior Sister in the administrative function of their role, assuming managerial responsibility in the Senior Sisters absence.
- Ensure a safe working environment is maintained for self and others, taking appropriate action as necessary in line with legislation, Trust and departmental requirements.
- Ensure staff are aware of resources available on the ward and utilise them in an efficient and effective way.
- Support the Senior Sister in maintaining an effective communication system on the ward.
- Provide 'Unit' cover as required, reporting to the Senior Nurse on for the hospital or Night Co-ordinator.
- Participate in the monitoring of Patients Charter Standards and Quality Initiatives.
- Support staff in adhering to all local policies and procedures.
- Participate in the investigation of complaints.
- Act as a change agent for clinical practice.
- Knowledge of the NHS Constitution & 'Understanding the New NHS'
- Demonstratable interest in and commitment to the professional development of others
- Research knowledge
- Awareness of audits
- CVAD trained
- IV skills
- Proven leadership and organisational skills. Demonstrates ability to effectively lead a team.
- Ability to organise and manage day to day running of the ward with an multidisciplinary team approach.
- Team building and working skills - able to lead a team to achieve results.
- Problem solving skills - able to respond to unexpected issues and provide first line response and to act as a deputy in the absence of the senior sister
- Ability to facilitate a cohesive team spirit and good team working.
- Ability to deal competently with conflict and complaints
- NG insertion
- Basic IT skills
- Current NMC registration
- Teaching qualification or willingness to complete in the next 6 months
- Recent acute hospital experience
- Relevant post registration experience
- Demonstrable clinical expertise, relevant to the area (gynaecology/gastroenterology/surgical)
- Previous band 6 experience
- Evidence of CPD
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.