An opportunity arises for an dynamic, innovative and highly motivated Scrub nurse/ Scrub ODP with substantial clinical experience in surgical Scrub across all specialties in an acute hospital setting to join the Clinical Practice Educator Team in Operating Theatre.
The successful candidate will support the Clinical Theatre Mangers across 3 sites to deliver high-quality continuing professional development (CPD) for Registered Nurses (RN) and Operating Department Practitioners (ODPs) in Anaesthetics Care Specialty.
The post holder will be responsible to operationalise the development, co-ordination and delivery of education and training for theatre and health care workforce; including but not limited to RNs, ODPs, Student Nurses, Paramedics, Apprentices and Theatre Support Workers in collaboration with the team of Clinical Practice Educators in Surgery and Recovery.Main duties of the job
Your key areas of focus will be theatre Scrub specialty in-house competency training, postgraduate theatre surgical care practice education and career development pathways specific to perioperative workforce.
You will undertake individual clinical supervision of staff as requested and encourage the use of critical analysis and reflective skills to examine current practice and enable change in the quality of the patient's experience.
You must be able to demonstrate exceptional organisational skill to be able to engage in multiple work stream simultaneously. You must have proficient IT Skill in Word, Excel, Power Point, ICS Applications to manage and analysis data of quality assurance audits to inform practice change.
You must demonstrate professional behaviour that contribute to and promote a culture which values staff, recognises achievement and enables career progression and succession planning in the department.About us
London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust (LNWH) cares for the people of Brent, Ealing, Harrow and beyond.
Our team of more than 8,200 clinical and support staff serve a diverse population of almost one million people.
We run major acute services at:
- Northwick Park Hospital: home to one of the busiest emergency departments (A&E) in the country. The hospital provides a full range of services including the country's top-rated hyper-acute stroke unit and one of only three hyper-acute rehabilitation units in the UK
- St Mark's Hospital: an internationally renowned specialist centre for bowel disease
- Ealing Hospital: a busy district general hospital providing a range of clinical services, as well as 24/7 emergency department and urgent care centre, and specialist care at Meadow House Hospice
- Central Middlesex Hospital: our planned care site, hosting a range of surgical and outpatient services and collocated with an urgent care centre.
We are a university teaching NHS trust, in recognition of the important role we play in training clinicians of the future and bringing the benefits of research to the public.Job descriptionJob responsibilitiesWorking relationships and communication requirements
Planning and Organisation Responsibilities
- Reporting to the Clinical Theatre Manager and responsible for the professional development of scrub nurses and ODPs in theatres across the Trust.
- Build and maintain professional relationships across the organisation and the wider learning community to facilitate practice development for theatre RN/ODP staff.
- Develop strong, effective relationship with Scrub specialty Lead Practitioners, scrub and anaesthetic ODP/RNs and theatre teams to inform and guide the practice development needs of the department.
- Contribute to collaborative working between the Trust and external education providers/ institutions in a professional manner.
- Work as part of the Clinical Practice Educator Team in theatres and provide support to learners in their absence.
- Receive or present highly complex, sensitive, or contentious information to a group if required.
- Provide support to fellow practice educators, assessors, and supervisors in managing complex student/ learning requirement.
- Utilise educational theories to underpin practice in relation to delivering education, feedback and evaluation Taking remedial action when performance falls below the required standard to assist them in addressing deficits.
- Use motivational and negotiating skill to actively promote development in practice based on guidelines or recent research findings.
- Organise inter-professional training and development opportunities in practice for learners, practice supervisors and assessors within the organisation
- Provide lectures, facilitation, coaching, supervision and shadowing opportunities to a group/ individual to support their learning and development
- Collate, analyse and triangulate data that supports the quality of learning environments, capacity and utilisation of placement opportunities
- Plan and maintain an accurate master placement rotation plan for all theatre competency trainees, students and collate placement for other learners in theatres.
To view the main responsibility, please see the attached the Job Description and Person SpecificationPerson SpecificationEducation and QualificationEssential
- Registered RN or Registered ODP
- Clinical Supervision and Assessing Qualification
- Post registration training in Theatre Scrub from recognisable institutions
- Evidence of continuous professional development
Knowledge & ExperienceEssential
- Minimum Level 6 or above academic education
- Teaching Qualification
- Substantial Scrub experience across specialties in acute sector.
- Current evidence of managing clinical supervision and assessments in theatre
- Understand theatre trainees/ Student ODP pathways
Silks, Abilities and attributeEssential
- Evidence of delivery of training programme
- Project management experience
- Excellent communication skill to provide and receive complex information
- Able to demonstrate clinical and technical expertise
- Analytical skills to reflect on and interpret highly complex information, facts or situations
- Proficient IT Skill- Word, Excel, Power Point, ICS Apps.
- Leadership skills
- Negotiation skill
- Flexible approach in service provision
- Reliable to meet deadline
- Demonstrate HEART value in service delivery
- Able to organise multiple work stream simultaneously
Any attachments will be accessible after you click to apply.